Still Waters retreat house was established in 1989 and is located in a secluded rural setting near Buchanan in southwestern Michigan. The main retreat house is a quaint old farm cottage with five cozy bedrooms (near bathrooms), a chapel, library, living room, dining room, and kitchen. Seventy-one acres of grounds include three small lakes, rolling hills, beautiful gardens, and a hermitage snuggled into the woods.
Rooted in its Christian identity, Still Waters welcomes anyone desiring to deepen their journey with God. Our guests and friends come from a variety of denominations and faith backgrounds.
The name Still Waters and our mission come from the age-old Shepherd’s Psalm. The Hebrew psalmist spoke of being led by “waters of rest” where life would be restored by the Lord. Still Waters exists for the purpose of providing a place of silence, solitude and spiritual companionship to help one hear the Shepherd’s voice and live prayerfully in their world.
It is a place of rest where one…
- is invited into the presence of the Lord who restores lives
- walking in the shadow of death in body, mind or spirit, may become aware of God’s presence with them
- might experience God’s sighing comfort for them in the midst of life’s trials
- may find sustaining fellowship in the midst of those issues that bind up, put in distress, keep in narrow vision
- may be cared for and honored by God
- may become aware of God’s goodness and mercy in life
- may choose to be part of the family of God continually