Still Waters retreat house was established in 1989 and is located in a secluded rural setting near Buchanan in southwestern Michigan. The main retreat house is a quaint old farm cottage with five cozy bedrooms (near bathrooms), a chapel, library, living room, dining room, and kitchen. Seventy-one acres of grounds include three small lakes, rolling hills, beautiful gardens, and two hermitages snuggled into the woods.
Rooted in its Christian identity, Still Waters welcomes anyone desiring to deepen their journey with God. Our guests and friends come from a variety of denominations and faith backgrounds.
The name Still Waters and our mission come from the age-old Shepherd’s Psalm. The Hebrew psalmist spoke of being led by “waters of rest” where life would be restored by the Lord. Still Waters exists for the purpose of providing a place of silence, solitude and spiritual companionship to help one hear the Shepherd’s voice and live prayerfully in their world.
It is a place of rest where one…
- is invited into the presence of the Lord who restores lives
- walking in the shadow of death in body, mind or spirit, may become aware of God’s presence with them
- might experience God’s sighing comfort for them in the midst of life’s trials
- may find sustaining fellowship in the midst of those issues that bind up, put in distress, keep in narrow vision
- may be cared for and honored by God
- may become aware of God’s goodness and mercy in life
- may choose to be part of the family of God continually